Director, Engineering & Information Systems
WCNY seeks an energetic and detail-oriented individual to manage the successful operation of WCNY’s technical and building facilities and to oversee and provide support on the various needs of other departments. The Director of Engineering & Information Systems leads the team responsible for the uninterrupted operation of all television, radio, IT, and building management systems. A successful candidate must be a good multi-tasker with prior experience in television and/or radio broadcast as well as a working knowledge of IT systems and technologies.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Responsible for managing and participating in the successful, sustained operation of all technology; including software systems, television and radio production systems, radio and television transmitters, building and facilities, and all IT and network systems.
• Perform and/or supervise general and preventative maintenance on all broadcast, IT, and building facilities equipment.
• Responsible for the creation and management of capital and operational budgets.
• Provide strategic planning and guidance towards organization goals; developing long-range plans for systems upgrades and implementation of new technologies.
• Maintain the execution of a comprehensive cross-training program for all Engineering & IT personnel.
• Be available on-call for technical emergencies for technical operations (IT, radio, production, and facilities) and act as back-up for the transmitter maintenance engineer on emergencies when necessary.
• Provide guidance and support with the development and implementation of all current and future projects, special, facilities rentals, and other new business initiatives.
• Stay current on state-of-the-art developments in IT, production, and broadcast technical areas and make recommendations to senior leadership when necessary.
• Supervises broadcast, facilities, and IT engineers.
Credentials and Experience
• At least 5 years of experience working in the television and radio technology field.
• Minimum of Associates Degree in Electronics Technology, Computer Science, or equivalent experience.
• Must have extensive broadcast operations experience in television and radio operations.
• Working knowledge of television and radio digital studio broadcast and production systems including: video server technology, digital HD and SD signal routing and switching, digital SD and HD encoding technologies and techniques, television and radio automation and traffic systems and the interface of these systems, audio encoding, routing and storage, television and radio editing systems, large disk-based video and audio storage systems and integration of the broadcast and production environment into an IT system.
• Thorough knowledge and experience with television and radio transmission, microwave, and remote control systems.
• Knowledge of FCC license and reporting requirements.
• Thorough knowledge of the operation of state-of-the-art radio and television studios and associated systems.
• Highly developed computer skills; experience with designing, installing and maintaining a windows based computer network system with at least 50 users is a plus.
• Effective understanding of Microsoft Office and Server 2008R2 and 2012R2 operating systems.
• Effective supervisory skills. Must work in collaborative manner, and foster a team spirit.
• Ability to organize, prioritize and perform multiple assignments under pressure and within deadline.
• Be able to work effective in a growing company, in a dynamic environment while ensuring that cross-departmental demands needs are fulfilled and expectations met.
• Great communication skills with a strong desire to provide outstanding customer service and interact effectively with all levels of WCNY staff.
• Must possess a valid NYS driver’s license and have reliable transportation.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to sit, speak, and listen. The employee frequently is required to use hands, fingers and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds.